Sunday, January 20, 2013

Shrimp Stir Fry

Oh I've been absent for far too long!!

Sorry I've been absent for so long it's just that things have been a little 'off ' around my home these past few weeks. 

First it was the holidays, which just throws everything into utter chaos. Then it was trying to get back into the regular routine of work. But then throw in the fact that my daughter left at the beginning of January to study abroad in Thailand for 3 weeks and it was really a weird month for me.

It has been super hard to do any baking or cooking at my home for several reasons. 

One it was only my husband and I to cook or bake for. Well yes it's true my son did come home from college a few weekends, but he was more in the mood for going out to eat when he was home. He did a lot of hanging out with his friends which meant I did not do a lot of cooking when he was home.

Secondly, we are all recovering from over eating during the holidays. I hate to say it, but I'm just a little sick of eating. All I really want to eat right now is good nutritious food. I've been eating yogurt and fruit and lean cuisines on a regular basis these past few weeks.

And lastly, I've got no one to cook for during the week but myself. The husband is at work and with my daughter gone there was no one to eat the good stuff I would have cooked or baked.

Well last night was a different story. I decided to make some stir fry. I hadn't made it in a long time and I had some frozen shrimp in the freezer, so I decided it was time to make something that was tastey and healthy.

I love stir fry because you can vary it every time you make it. You can add what ever kind of meat you want. You can change up the vegetables too.

Usually I make chicken stir fry. I am always changing the vegies I use to whatever I have in the fridge. It's a good way to get in your serving of vegetables with this dish. The trick is to keep on stirring while you cook.

I've been making this dish for a long time and I no longer measure anything out so I'll give you my best guess at to how much I use of everything so that you too can enjoy this yummy dish.

Shrimp Stir Fry


Stir Fry
your desired meat (shrimp, chicken, beef)
3 T soy sauce
1 T vinegar
1/4 t ginger
Cut up meat and add the soy sauce, vinegar and ginger. Let it marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

3 carrots, peel and cut into coins
2 rods of celery, chopped
1 1/2 broccoli
1 1/2 cauliflower
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 can mushrooms

1T cornstarch
water 
sugar

Put a tablespoon of oil in the wok and heat on high. Cook carrots and cauliflower for 3 minutes. Add the liquid from the mushrooms to the wok and cover. Let steam for 3 minutes. Remove vegies from wok. 
Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and add broccoli, onion, and celery. Cook until onion looks translucent. Remove from wok and add to carrot/cauliflower. 
Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and add meat. Cook meat until done. Add the vegies and then the mushrooms. 
Mix cornstarch and water to make a little paste. Add to the liquid in the wok. This will thicken the stir fry as you stir.  My little secret ingredient is sugar. I add about a tablespoon of sugar to the stir fry. Serve this with rice.
 
         



   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment