Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chicken Stroganoff


Don't you just love going to those restaurants that have that good old home cooked food? The kind of place that makes you step back in time to the days of when your mom made those meals that just made the whole house smell wonderful. Where one just couldn't get enough or for that matter even eat fast enough because it smelled and tasted so good that it felt like heaven.

We have a little restaurant like that just down the road from my place. It's called Carol's Kitchen. It definitely has the homemade everything and smells wonderful upon entering this establishment. It's a place that makes it hard for one to make a decision on what to eat, everything is so good. This restaurant has the true home cooked meal.

Well now I don't really go out to eat a whole lot, so I try to make these types of meals at home. I do it for a few reasons. One I like to cook and try out new stuff. Two I just can't afford to go out to eat all the time. And three I just really like hanging out at home with friends and family.

One of my favorite meals is stroganoff. Now usually one thinks of beef stroganoff, but I have a recipe using chicken. I'm a little partial to chicken so this is perfect for me. Now I suppose one could always use beef instead of chicken if you really want to so if chicken's not your thing go ahead and use beef, but you might be missing out on something that's just super yummy.

Chicken Stroganoff
Olive oil
2 T real bacon bits
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion
2-4.5 oz cans of mushrooms
1 1/2 C chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t salt
1/8 t paprika
pepper to taste
2 T all-purpose flour
1 C sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles

Start a pan of water to boil for the noodles. Once water starts to boil add noodles and boil for 8-10 minutes. Drain when done.
Cut chicken breasts into cubes. Chop onions and drain mushrooms. Add olive oil to skillet and heat. Add chicken onions and mushrooms and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add the broth, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper and bacon. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine flour and sour cream in a bowl until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over noodles.

Adapted from The Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment