I was really craving something sweet to eat the other day. So I was kind of perusing Pinterest looking for yummy stuff to eat. I can really get carried away on this site with all the great recipes out there, but today was different.
On this occasion I found a recipe for Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes. The picture had intrigued me so much that I just had to check it out. I ended up at www.thecakeblog.com. I was worried that the recipe might be difficult or may require items that I just don't normally buy, but this was not the case.
Well in order for me to make these cupcakes I need some Mint Oreo cookies and some mint extract.( I also couldn't resist purchasing some cute cupcake papers while I was there). I was headed off to Cub Foods in no time to pick up my few items. So about nine dollars later I was at home whipping up some cupcakes.
Now I did not have enough Oreos to place an Oreo on top of the cupcake after frosting put believe me you won't miss it. And a word to the wise when making the frosting. Make sure you crush the cookies in a food processor before adding them to the frosting. I didn't do this and when I wanted to decorate the cupcakes with a decorating tip and bag I kept getting cookie crumbs stuck in the tip. So because of this I went to plan B and just used a spatula to slather the frosting on top.
I'm also going to warn you that once you eat one of these cupcakes you will have satisfied your urge for sugar. I think I almost went into a sugar coma after having one. In fact I decided that I just could not keep two dozen cupcakes. I needed to bring them into work and share the wealth.
Well here's the recipe. I hope you enjoy them.
Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes
(makes 24 cupcakes)
For the cake:
1 box Devils Food cake mix
1 small box (3.9 oz) Chocolate Instant pudding
1 Cup vegetable oil
3/4 Cup milk
24 Cool mint Oreos
- Preheat oven to 35 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Place one cool Mint Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In medium bolw combine cake mix, chocolate pudding, vegetable ooil, milk and eggs.
- Beat with electric mixer until incorporated and then continue mixing 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop batter over top of Oreos in cupcake liner.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with crushed Oreo Mint Frosting.
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
6 cups powdered sugar
3 T milk
1 t mint extract
green food coloring
12 cool mint Oreos, crushed
- In a bowl beat butter and vegetable shortening until creamy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add milk 1 T at a time as needed until reaching desired sonsistency.
- Add mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring to tint to desired color.
- Mix in crushed Oreos. Crush in a food processor.
- Place icing in piping bag and snip off tip to creat a large hole. Swirl icing on top of cupcakes.
- Garnish cupcakes with 1 cool Mint Oreo cookie on top if desired.