Saturday, March 17, 2012

Molasses Sugar Cookies

My son was home last week for spring break. I felt kind of bad that the whole week that he was home I was sick. I didn't really cook anything for him until the last two days that he was home. So to make up for his loss of home cooked meals I decide that I should at least make him some cookies to go back to the dorm room with him.

One of his favorites is Molasses Sugar cookies. I like these too because they are moist and chewy and they have an awesome flavor. They also happen to be a real quick cookie to make. When these cookies are baking in the oven it makes the kitchen smell so good. It's those spices of cinnamon, cloves and ginger mixed together that smells so good.

This recipe is the recipe that my mom use to make when I was a kid. I think she just got the recipe off the molasses jar. I'm not really sure, but I know that it is a favorite one for me,my kids and of course my hubby. I had a hard time keeping him away from the cookies as I took them out of the oven and cooled them Trying to get them ready to package up for the trip back to school.( I'm thinking I'm going to have to make some for home too.)


Molasses Sugar Cookies
3/4 C shortening
1 C sugar
1/4 C Molasses
1 egg
1egg
2 C flour
2 t soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; Beat well. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to first mixture. Mix well; chill. Form into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment