Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lemon Bars

Lemon bar

Ohh, yesterday was so beautiful. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. We had so many ducks and geese out on the pond it was unbelievable. I even got a sneak peek at the fox that roams the neighborhood late in the afternoon. My dogs were loving laying in the sun on the deck, just soaking up rays.

Now me, I had other things on the agenda yesterday. I just had to do some heavy duty cleaning in my house. I did, however, take several breaks to go outside. I even made an excuse to be outside for awhile. After all, someone had to sweep up all those seeds and seed pods from the trees. Plus I had to survey the cushions for the outdoor furniture that I want to recover.

Well I finally got all my cleaning done and I got to thinking about food. I felt like making something that was sweet, but doesn't make you feel so guilty when you indulge. I knew just the ticket. Lemon bars. My daughter had mentioned it early this week and I thought this was the perfect treat to make.

I haven't made lemon bars in a very long time so I had to dust off my recipe. Thankfully I had everything that I need and I went to work making them. This recipe is kind of a two parter recipe, so be warned that they can't be made real quick. First you have to make the crust. Then you have to let it cool. After it is cooled you make the yummy lemon part and you bake it again. Even though it takes a little time they are worth it.

So give it a try. I'm sure you're going to love them.

FYI this is a recipe that I got from my mom a long, long time ago. I do not even know where she got the recipe from.

Lemon Bars
1 C flour
1/2 C butter
1/4 C powdered sugar
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 C sugar
1/4 t salt
3 T lemon juice
2 T flour
1/2 t baking powder

Cream flour, butter and powdered sugar. It should start to kind of ball up when it is ready. Press into an 8 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Take from oven and cool.
Mix eggs, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Add 2 T flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour over cool crust and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Take from oven and cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still a little warm.
You can double this recipe to make a 9 X 13 pan of bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment