Sunday, April 1, 2012

Santa Fe Chicken

So I am officially on spring break as of 4:00 Friday! I have a list a mile long on things I want to do in the next week and I know that there is no way I'll get to everything that I want to do.

One of my plans for this week is to do some serious cooking and baking. I started out the weekend by making a crock pot dish that I found on Pinterest. I did however tweak the recipe a bit and after making this dish there are a few more things that I would change the next time I make it. Not to say that it was bad, I just want a little more zing!

If I were to do this over I would add one more can of diced tomatoes and I would drain the tomatoes. I would also put hotter chilies in it. I really like spicy dishes when I'm thinking Tex-Mex.

There were plenty of left overs and my husband and I thought that perhaps this could be eaten in a wrap. All it would take is a little cornstarch to thicken it up and ta-da! You've got a new kind of wrap. This will be our lunch today.

I hope you give this one a try. It's very easy and really good.

Santa Fe Chicken


Santa Fe Chicken
2-3 Skinless Chicken breasts
1- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (I would add one more)
1- 4 oz can of green chilies (I would hotter chilies)
1- 15 oz can of black beans
1- 15 oz can of chicken broth
8 oz of frozen corn
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 t garlic powder
1 t chili powder
1 t cumin
1 t cayenne pepper
salt to taste

Cooked Rice

  1. Combine tomatoes, green chilies, black beans, chicken broth, corn and spices in crock pot.
  2. Lay chicken on top and salt.
  3. Cook on high for 4 hours.
  4. Take chicken from crock pot and shred. Return to crock pot and let cook while you make rice.
  5. Once rice is done serve chicken over rice.
Adapted from Chef in Training.


No comments:

Post a Comment