Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
 
Well as promised on my facebook page I'm going to share my recipe for Cinco de Mayo. I'm making it very easy today. My recipe is homemade taco seasoning.

I have too many times wanted to make tacos and have found I have no taco seasoning mix in the cabinet. Because of this it has forced me to find an alternative, making my own.

After perusing the internet I came upon a few recipes that I just kind of tweaked and made my own. It is quite good and after thinking about it, I don't think you could really mess this one up too much. I used this recipe last week when I made taco salads with my daughter. Sorry there are no pictures of the salad. They were so good we just gobbled them up.

 You can use this with either hamburger or chicken. And as I stated before not only can you make excellent tacos with this it works great to use in taco salad. I also usually buy my seasonings at Aldi's making it easier to make this seasoning mix. The spices are at a reasonable price and the jars are large.
Taco Seasoning Mix

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
4 T chili powder
3 T paprika
3 T ground cumin
1 T dry minced onion
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in an air tight container until ready to use.
When preparing taco meat use 2 t of seasoning mix and 1/4 C of water with 1 lb of hamburger. I always cook my hamburger in the microwave, drain and then add the seasoning and water. Cook for 2 minutes and your done.
You can use chicken to make this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment