Friday, October 18, 2013

Apple Crumb Pie with Pat- A- Pan Pie Crust

Apple Crumb Pie
     I finally went to the apple orchard this month. Something that I wanted to do way back in September, but I tell you it was well worth the wait. I love going to the apple orchard in the fall. The apples just seem to taste so much better when one gets them from the orchard rather than the store.

     The atmosphere is also so wonderful. You can smell the apple brats cooking and the kettle corn being popped plus people are milling around with children and dogs in tow. The air is crisp and these sights and smells just add to the experience. 

     I was fortunate enough to try a new apple this year. It was called Sweet Tango. I guess it is a cross between a Honey Crisp (one of my favorite apples) and Zestar. They are sweet, crispy and tangy. I just cut those apples up and ate them with caramel sauce. I really want to go get some more they were so good.

     Besides the Honey Crisp and Sweet Tango apples I bought some McIntosh apples. McIntosh apples are perfect for making apple pie so I decided to find a recipe in my new cookbook. I just got this new Amish cookbook and it has some really good recipes and I choose a pie crust that you can make in the pie pan and the apple filling is just as easy.

     My husband a few days later told me that he really loved my apple pie. He commented on how the pie was full of apples and the filling didn't ooze all over. He liked how it stayed together so that each bite was a mouthful of apple goodness.

     Sorry I didn't get a picture of a slice of the pie. I forgot to take a picture when I first served it up and after that it honestly went so fast I didn't have a chance to get a picture. All I know is I'm going to have to make this pie again.

     One thing you might like about this pie is you make the pie crust right in the pie pan and the pie filling doesn't take too much effort to make. I do have a apple, peeler, corer gadget. It is one of the best things that I've ever purchased. I use it a lot believe it or not.

     Well here is the two recipes. I hope you enjoy the apple pie!

Apple Crumb Pie with Pat-A-Pan Pie Crust

Pat-a-Pan pie crust
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 T cold milk

Place flour, sugar and salt in a 9 inch pie pan and mix with your fingers until evenly blended. In a measuring cup combine oil and milk and beat until creamy. Pour all at once all over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first at the sides of the pie plate and then the bottom. Flute the edges. Set this aside and prepare the apple filling.

Apple Crumb Pie
1/4 C sugar
1 t cinnamon
6-7 C sliced McIntosh apples
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 C all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 425.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon with the apples in a large bowl and put into the unbaked pie shell. Mix the butter, brown sugar, and flour in a medium bowl for the topping. Sprinkle over the pie. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake for 30 more minutes. Cool on a wire rack until the pie is firm, about 45 minutes. Store any leftovers in a sealed container. The pie will keep for about 5 days.

Recipe from The Amish Cook's family Favorite Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment