Friday, June 27, 2014

Fresh Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Rhubarb Coffee Cake
     I'm trying out a brand new recipe today. I got it from my mom and she found it in her hometown newspaper. So when I was over at her apartment caring for her I decided to write it down and give it a try. After all I've been looking for some recipes to use the rhubarb that I have in my garden.

   This is the first year that I could use my rhubarb. I had just planted it last summer and I guess the golden rule is to wait a year before picking it. Anyways I finally got to use it. I also had to go to my mom's old house and take a little from her plants before she sells her place.

    I like the rhubarb at my mom's house because it is the thicker stalks. I think it makes better pies than the thinner rhubarb. So I did take one of the plants from her yard and planted it in my garden. Of course I did ask her permission first. I think she liked the idea that I would have one of her plants growing in my garden now that her house will be gone soon. So now I've got a little variety with the rhubarb.

     Anyways I had plenty of rhubarb to make some coffee cake and little something more that I'll share at another time. My family couldn't wait until it was done baking this morning. It did smell good and I too was anticipating eating this coffee cake for breakfast. The wait was worth it. The cake has delicious flavor and was very moist. We all had two pieces. Too yummy!

     The recipe say to serve warm with whipped cream, but I did not have whipped cream available and felt it was not necessary for breakfast. Now if I was serving it as a dessert then I would definitely top it off with some whipped cream.

Fresh Rhubarb Coffee Cake
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
2/3 C oil
1 egg
1 C buttermilk or sour milk
2 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t soda
2 C chopped fresh rhubarb
1/2 C chopped nuts ( I used pecans)
1 t vanilla
1/4 C butter, melted
1/3 C sugar

Combine sugars, oil, egg and  milk. In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, and salt; stir into egg mixture. Stir in rhubarb, nuts, and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased 9X13 pan. Drizzle butter over batter; sprinkle with 1/3C sugar. Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment