Friday, July 11, 2014

Rhubarb Bread


Rhubarb Bread

     Aww yes! Another rhubarb recipe.

     I just couldn't resist. After all I've got a few rhubarb plants growing in my garden now and I really miss having all those yummy rhubarb treats that my mom made when I was a kid.

    I've never made bread before using rhubarb so I thought why not give it a try. I thought the cake had turned out well and I figured that the bread wouldn't be much different than the cake.

     Turns out the bread is AMAZING!!!  Super moist and full of sweet rhubarb flavor. I know you're saying right now that rhubarb is tart. Well yes it is, but in this recipe you taste the sweet tartness of the sugars mixed with the rhubarb. 

     This recipe makes two loaves. The loaves don't rise like a traditional loaf of bread. It's a little more dense. My family obviously loved it because when I got up this morning one loaf was already gone and they had started on the second one. 

     This recipe I got out of my mom's hometown newspaper, The Browerville Blade. A small town in northern Minnesota. Cute little town. I have fond childhood memories of visiting my grandparents in this town. 

Rhubarb Bread
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2/3 C oil
1 egg
1 C sour milk (1cup milk & 1 t vinegar)
1 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t pure vanilla
1 1/2 C diced rhubarb
1/2 C chopped pecans

Topping
1/2 C sugar
1 T butter, melted

Combine first seven ingredients; stir in rhubarb and nuts. Mix well; Pour into two greased loaf pans. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Mix and spread over batter in loaf pans. It will have gritty texture. I sprinkled it on with my hands. Bake at 325 for one hour.

Adapted recipe from Browerville Blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment