Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bread Pudding

Have you ever had a craving for something so bad that you just have to have it? This was the case for me yesterday. I had this great dinner baking in the oven. An apple marinated turkey breast and roasted potatoes.This was giving off a delightful smell making me think of comfort food. Now the only thing left to make was dessert and I suddenly had the desire to eat bread pudding.

Now bread pudding is not your average pudding. In fact it doesn't look anything like a pudding, but it is oh so good. It has a base of bread with raisins and cinnamon. I have eaten it plain, with cream and with a custard. I don't care what you have with it it is truly amazing.

As I gathered all the ingredients and whipped this together I could almost taste that wonderful warm cinnamon flavor. My daughter even commented on how wonderful it smelled as it baked. Once we were able to eat this delicious treat it was a hit with all. My children poured my caramel coffee creamer over the top of the bread pudding.  Next time I will try and make a custard for it.

The recipe I used is from my mother. She use to make this when I was a little girl and I love just as much today as I did when I was a little girl. So enjoy!
Bread Puddding

2 C milk, scalded
4 C coarse bread crumbs
1/4 C butter, melted
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 t salt
1/2 C raisins
1 t cinnamon or nutmeg

Scalde milk. Put bread crumbs in a large bowl and pour milk over the top and combine. Add butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Add salt, raisins and cinnamon or nutmeg. Mix well. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment