Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Banana Nut Brownies

My day started out like most other days. I got up at 7:00, threw on shorts and a t-shirt and took the dogs for their morning walk. Upon arriving back home I went to the kitchen to get my coffee brewing and there it was. Those two over ripe bananas looking me in the face saying, "When are you going to bake me into something?" Now I know that everyone has faced this issue and I'm betting a lot of you just decide to make banana bread or even throw them out. Well gosh I just couldn't make banana bread again and I just wasn't in the mood for any type of banana muffins and the baker in me couldn't throw those bananas away. I decide I needed to search for a recipe that had bananas in it, but something different from the ordinary. I NEED TO SAVE THOSE BANANAS!

My first step was to browse the bookshelf in my kitchen that holds my most beloved cookbooks. After perusing the titles I decided I'd take a look at The Ultimate Cookie Collection by Taste of Home. This book is chock full of various cookies, brownies, and bars. It has a plethora of scrumptious snacks that never fail to make the grade.

Now if you know anything about me you know that I LOVE BROWNIES! It doesn't matter if they are frosted or plain, with or without nuts, Blond brownies or chocolate brownies, I love them any way, shape or form. So it probably comes as no surprise that when I saw the recipe for Banana Nut Brownies I knew instantly that I had to make them. I mean first it was a brownie recipe. Secondly it was chocolate. And lastly it was a great way for me to use those bananas.

Well I baked up this wonderful treat and they are wonderful. As they are baking you can smell a hint of banana and upon tasting one they are delicious. They are moist and oh so airy light. It was hard to eat just one, so I had two. Give this recipe a try and see if you like it as much as me and my daughter did.


Banana Nut Brownies

1/2 C butter, melted and cooled
1 C sugar
3 T baking cocoa
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T milk
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 C mashed ripe bananas (2-1/2 to 3 medium)
1/2 C chopped walnuts
Confectioners' sugar, optional

  1. In a bowl, combine butter, sugar and cocoa. Stir in eggs, milk and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in bananas and nuts.
  2. Pour into a greased 9-inch (I used an 8inch) square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top of brownie springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars.

1 comment: