Monday, August 9, 2010

Peach Sorbet

Well it's peach time! I love going to the little produce store by my house and seeing and smelling all those luscious peaches. What's even better is they have samples of peaches to taste. Now who can resist buying peaches after trying a sample. I guess that's the reason they have plenty of samples available for their customers. Right now the Colorado peaches are the peach of choice in my area. I like them because their skin is not super fuzzy and they have a wonderful sweet, juice peach flavor. Once you take a bite of these peaches you are going to want more. On my outing to the produce store I picked up 6 nice size Colorado peaches and had plans in mind of making peach sorbet. Now I've never made sorbet before, so I would have to tweak a recipe I had at home. I just replace the fruit in the recipe with peaches. I also had to remove the skins from the peaches in order to make the sorbet and this was something I've never done before. I figured it would be like when I remove the skins from tomatoes when I can them, so I followed the same procedure. So here's my recipe for Peach sorbet and the how to remove the skin part too. The recipe is easy as is removing the skin from the peach. Give it a try and enjoy this yummy treat on one of these hot August days. Everyone in my family gave it a thumbs up.
Removing the skins
  1. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil.
  2. Once water comes to a boil turn off burner.
  3. Prepare a bowl of ice water.
  4. Using a slotted spoon put peach in boiling water for 45 seconds.
  5. Using slotted spoon remove from water and put in ice water for 10-15 seconds.
  6. Remove peach and skin should peel off easily.
  7. Repeat for the rest of the peaches.
Peach Sorbet
3/4 C sugar 
1 1/2 C water
3 C peaches sliced
1/4 C lemon juice

In a small saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Set this aside an let cool. While this is cooling you can remove the skins from the peaches. Follow the instructions above.  Put peach slices in a food processor and puree them. Put puree in a bowl and add cooled sugar water and lemon juice. Stir until well combined. Pour this mixture into an 8x8 pan; cover and freeze for 45min to an hour. Stir and return to the freezer until frozen. Once mixture is frozen use ice cream scoop to scoop out servings. 

NOTE: We also thought that this would have been good in popsicle molds. Maybe we'll try this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment