Saturday, August 28, 2010

Streusel Peach Pie

I can't believe it's been over a week since I last posted a recipe. Where has the time gone? I've been so busy lately with getting the kids off to college and going back to work and getting my classroom set up that I just haven't had time to post.I've been falling asleep by 9:00/9:30 every night. Who says teachers don't work hard?

I have, however, been doing some cooking. Some of it has been marvelous and some of it I would rather not talk about. In my urge to use all the peaches in a crate of peaches that I bought I have tried to make a couple of peach pies and some peach ice cream. One of the pies was super runny, so that will need a little tweaking before I even try to post the recipe. The peach ice cream failed miserably. I definitely need a new recipe for that one. 

I'm going to share one of my success with you today.Last weekend I was trying to use up the last of the peaches and I came across a yummy looking recipe for streusel peach pie. I decide to give it a try an boy am I glad I did. This pie is super easy and absolutely delicious! If you don't know how to peel the peaches refer back to my previous recipe on Peach sorbet. There is a step by step procedure for removing the skins.

I guess since it's peach season what better way to use peaches then in a pie. I found this recipe in Taste of Home's August/September issue, so give it a try. You can never go wrong with a recipe from Taste of Home.

Streusel Peach Pie
Pastry for single crust pie (9in)
5 cups sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C all-purpose flour
Dash ground  nutmeg
1 egg
2 T heavy whipping cream
Topping:
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 t ground cinnamon
3 T cold butter
Whipped cream, optional

Lined a 9 in. pie plate with pastry; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate and flute edges.
In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sugar, flour and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk egg and cream. Pour over peaches; toss to combine. Place in crust. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.
For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over outer edges of pie, leaving center uncovered. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges with foil to prevent over browning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment