Saturday, September 18, 2010

Frosted Banana Bars

Well I'm off to visit my kids at college today. I of course needed to bring along some yummy treat baked with love. Now what to bring that they just don't get at school. 

Hmmmm! How about Banana Bars?

Why yes! They are yummy. They are something that not many people can make as good as me. At least that's what I'm told. And the best part....I've got some bananas that need to be used asap.

Now this recipe I found in a Taste of home collectors edition. It does make a lot of bars, but one can just use two cake pans to make these and freeze one until ready to use. I suppose one could also cut the recipe in half too. I've never done this because my family eats these up within a couple of days.

One needs to keep in mind that these bars must be kept refrigerated. So plan on making some space on a shelf in the fridge. Also yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream. I use vanilla yogurt when I have to make a substitution.

I will post a picture soon, but for now enjoy. 

And now what you've been waiting for..... the recipe of course.


Frosted Banana Bars

1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
1-1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 C (8oz) sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)


Frosting:
1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
2 t vanilla extract
3-3/4 to 4 C confectioners sugar


In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in banana. Spread into a greased 15-in X 10-in X 1-in baking pan or 2 9-in X 13-in baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistency. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment