Thursday, September 16, 2010

Southwest Black Bean Soup

Well it's that time of year again. The weather is getting cooler out and the leaves are starting to turn colors. I notice when I take my dogs out walking that the ducks and geese are flying south to warmer weather already. I'm seeing less and less water fowl on the pond. 

This kind of weather always makes me think of comfort food. Top of the list for these are the many soups, chilies and stews. I some times have a really hard time deciding which one I'm going to make. This time I decided to make one of my favorites. It is Southwest Black Bean Soup. It was a real hit with my family and my coworkers last year when I first discovered the recipe. It is simple to make and is so yummy on those chilly nights. I originally found this recipe in my Healthy Cooking Magazine, but I have tweaked it a little to suit me and my family.





Southwest Black Bean Soup

1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 T canola oil
2  15oz cans of black beans drained and rinsed
2  14 1/2 oz cans of chicken broth
1  14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1  4 oz can of green chilies
3/4 t of chili powder
2 cups of cooked brown rice
sour cream

In a large soup pot saute pepper, celery, and onion in the canola oil. Add the beans, broth and tomatoes, green chilies and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
In the meantime cook brown rice according to package directions. Rice takes about 30-45 minutes to cook.
Once rice is done serve up soup in bowls and add as much rice to your bowl as you would like. Top with a scoop of sour cream.

Note: Do not add rice to soup as rice will absorb all the broth. Instead add rice to soup bowls when ready to eat. I store leftovers in separate containers and then heat both up separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment