Saturday, December 10, 2011

Oatmeal Gingersnaps

I'm finally back in the kitchen! I've had a few things that were keeping me away, but I'm really going to try and make an effort to blog at least once a week if not more. I'm starting out with some Christmas goodies. Today I was baking away in anticipation of Christmas. I actually made two different kinds of cookies, but I'm going to share with all of you one that I have just tried for the very first time.

I got this recipe from Taste of Home. It was one of those that gets sent to my email account and I just couldn't resist trying it. To start off it looked so easy to make and right now I'm looking for anything that is quick and easy to make. The other thing that I liked about them is they were a gingersnap cookie. I love the way gingersnap cookies smell. It just makes your whole kitchen smell delicious.

This recipe makes 3 dozen, but this is a good recipe to quickly make another batch or just whip up a double batch when making these. I know that they are going to go fast at my house so I'll have to keep the recipe handy so I can make another batch.

Like many recipes I kinda tweaked this one. Instead of flattening them with a glass dipped in sugar, I just rolled the cookie in sugar before putting them on the pan. This recipe kind of reminded me of my mom's Molasses Sugar cookies and that's how my mom use to do it. They flattened out nice, no glass needed.

So here's the recipe. Enjoy! I'll be back tomorrow with another holiday recipe.


Oatmeal Gingersnaps
Ingredients
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Quick-Cooking Oats
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
Additional Sugar

Directions
  • In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. roll into 1 inch balls; roll in additional sugar.
  • Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until set (do not over bake. I did not flatten them). Remove to wire racks to cool.
  • Yield: about 3-31/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment