Monday, January 9, 2012

White Chicken Chili

 Well it's Monday morning and if you're like me you're just not ready to go back to work. You're probably also thinking what am I going to make for dinner. It's bad enough that it's the first day of the busy work week and my calendar for work is whirling around in my head, but now I've got to make some plans for what I'm going to feed everyone once I get home from my hectic day at work.

I know the first question I get asked as soon as I walk in the door is, "What's for supper?" Now this is not exactly what I want to hear upon entering the door. Whatever happened to the love and adoration I use to get from my children? They use to come running to me and giving me hugs and at the very least saying "Hi, Mom!" and acting like they were happy to see me. I guess their desire to eat trumps the love and affection they use to display. Oh well, I guess I'm still loved, just in a different way. 

Now the thought of this could be a little stressful, but not today. Today I have a quick and easy supper, that will satisfy everyone's hunger. This recipe is also very easy to make,so you can feed everyone in a hurry. For most people, if you have a well stocked pantry, you will probably have most ingredients on hand. And don't fret if you forgot to take chicken out. You can always defrost a couple of chicken breasts in the microwave and it will work just fine.



 White Chicken Chili
3 Chicken Breasts
1 medium onion
Olive Oil
1 t ground cumin
2 t oregano
1 can of green chilies
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 C chicken broth
2 cans Northern White Beans, drained and rinsed
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese

1. Cube chicken and chop onion. Add some olive oil to a soup kettle and heat. Add chicken, onion, cumin, oregano and green chilies. Cook until chicken is done and onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook a few more minutes.
2. In a separate bowl mash 1/2 cup of the beans. Add 1/2 c chicken broth to mashed beans and mix to form a paste. Add the remaining broth to the chicken mixture and the bean mixture. Add the remaining beans and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Serve chili with a dollop of sour cream on top and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment