Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mini Pretzel Ice Cream Sandwiches


With Memorial Weekend comes family get togethers and picnics. And traditionally these get togethers and picnics are all about grilling, summer salads and cold beverages. Of course we can't forget the dessert. It just has to be Ice Cream!

You can do ice cream in a variety of ways to please every age group. You can just simply buy an exotic flavor at the grocery store. You can get creative and make your own homemade ice cream, which is a lot of fun (see prior post for ice cream). You can also make ice cream sandwiches.

Now ice cream sandwiches can be as simple as getting cookies from the bakery and scooping some of your favorite ice cream and smooshing it in between two cookie. Some might even try making homemade ice cream sandwiches with the chocolate wafer (still want to try that). Or you could do what I did. Make mini pretzel ice cream sandwiches.

Now with these little ice cream sandwiches everybody can at least have a little taste. They are so small that if for some reason you're dieting or watching your weight you won't feel so awful if you just have one.

I kind of got the idea from my Simple and Delicious magazine. They had all these different ice cream sandwiches in it and I decided to try and make something that would be just as easy and taste just as great. Now that doesn't mean I'm not going to try some of those awesome recipes for ice cream sandwiches, because I am. I was just home alone last night and started messing around in the kitchen with what I had on hand.

I really think this treat could be easily made with children and I even think that the edges could be rolled or dipped into sprinkles to make them look even yummier. I just am low on sprinkles right now. I simple used the knot style pretzels, Wilton's chocolate candy melts and some vanilla ice cream (my chocolate chip ice cream mysteriously disappeared), but you can use any flavor ice cream. It doesn't take long for the chocolate to harden after dipping so these can be made asap.

So here's the recipe. Give them a try and let me know if you have any suggestions. Happy Memorial Day!
Tools I used to make them.


Mini Pretzel Ice Cream Sandwiches
60 -70 pretzels
1 bag of Wilton's chocolate candy melts
ice cream of your choice
  1. Melt the candy melts in the microwave according to package directions.
  2. Lay out a couple of sheets of wax paper or parchment paper.
  3. Dip one side of pretzel into chocolate. Remove and place chocolate side up on paper. (I used a plastic fork with the middle tines removed to take pretzels out). Let the chocolate harden.
  4. Take ice cream out of freezer and let it soften a little to make it easier to scoop and squish between the pretzels. Once it is softened use a small scoop and scoop out a ball of ice cream. Place on the uncoated pretzel side. Place another pretzel on top with chocolate side up. Squeeze gently together. Place on a cookie sheet to place in freezer to set up. Once they have set up place in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment