Monday, February 18, 2013

Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup

Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup

Today I'm just trying to breathe. I have such a head cold that every breath I take is precious. Cold medicine doesn't seem to help. I decided to opt for some chicken soup.

Now I don't really like plain old chicken soup. I think after years of eating soup when I first moved away from home just made me despise soup. So I've got to spice it up a bit.

I found this recipe in a Simple and Delicious magazine, but it was suppose to be made with ham. Well I of course did not have any ham so I decided to use chicken. Then once I got making this I decided it was too plain and I needed to add some spice to it. I then proceed to add a can of green chilies to the soup.

Remember how I said I couldn't breathe? Well this stuff cleared the sinuses. It wasn't too hot but just enough to help me breathe a little easier. I also liked that it didn't take very long to make.

Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
28 ounces of Chicken broth
2 C frozen corn
1 C milk
1/3 C chopped onion
1/3 C chopped sweet red pepper
1 4 oz can of green chilies
1/4 + 1 T flour
1/2 C water
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 cooked chicken breasts, cut up into bite size pieces

Combine broth, corn, milk, onion, red pepper, and chilies in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine the flour, water, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Recipe adapted for Taste of Home Simple and Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment