Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
Lately I've really been into making soups and chowders. I guess there is nothing like homemade. I really can't stand canned soups. I think I ate canned soup too much when I first moved away from home. It's not that I won't eat it it's just that I will if there is really no other choice.

While I was browsing through my pile of old recipes that I want to try I found this one for a vegetable chowder. It has no meat in it, but I think if a person wanted to add some kind of chicken or even ham I don't think it would hurt the flavor.

This chowder does not take long to make and it does not take any odd ingredients to make. I actually had everything already in my cupboard or fridge.

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
2 T butter
1/2 C chopped onion
1 C finely chopped carrot
2 rods of celery, finely chopped
1 T minced garlic
4 C chicken broth
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 T flour
1/2 C water
2/3 C milk
2 C chopped broccoli
2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Melt butter in a large soup pot. add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook and additional 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour and water and add to the soup and simmer until soup is slightly thickened. Add the milk and broccoli and cook until the broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt. Serve with crackers or bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment