Sunday, August 4, 2013

Little Red Barn Cake

Little Red Barn Cake
     I made a barn cake for my brother's birthday this weekend. He's always liked living and working on a farm so when I ran across a picture of a barn cake I decided to make my own version of this cute little cake for his birthday.

     This cake was very easy to make. You don't really don't have to have had any cake decorating classes to make this. I only used two different decorating tips that are very common tips. The white writing and thin white lines I used a #3 tip and for the roof I used a #12 tip. I also buy the disposable decorating bags. It makes clean up so much easier.

     The little figures on the cake are actually candles. There were four candles in the package. A chicken, cow, tractor and a little barn. I felt like the cake needed a little something and these were the ticket.

     To make this I used a boxed cake mix and baked it in a 9x13 cake pan. Just follow the directions on the box. Once the cake is cool turn it onto the cake platter that you are going to use to serve the cake. I wish I had purchased some of those cardboard cake platters for this one. Instead I had just put it on my cake taker base and now I'm hoping the red frosting will wash off well enough.

     Once the cake is cool I cut off the corners of the cake to make the angled roof of the barn. Then it was time to put a crumb coating on the cake. Make sure you thin the frosting out a little before applying. This coating is to help eliminate the crumbs that can sometimes come off and show up in your finished frosting coat. You can also put the cake in the freezer for about a half hour before putting on the final coat of frosting.

     After crumb coating it let the cake sit to crust over and then you can apply the red and brown frosting. Make sure you make enough red frosting to cover the cake. You can always use the left over red frosting and color it brown  for the roof. You don't have to get a nice smooth coat with this cake either. It's suppose to look like the boards in a barn so run your spatula in one direction to make the look of boards on a barn.

     The roof is easy. You will only coat the triangular sides and then use the #12 tip to make dots on the top of the cake. This will make a nice clean finish between the red and brown frosting. Again don't worry if the sides are not super smooth, it's an old barn and it should look rough.

     Now for the finishing touches! Use white frosting for the outline of the doors and the words that you want to put on it. You will need to thin out the white frosting a bit so it is easy to apply. Check out Wilton's for more information on frosting and decorating. Add whatever kind of cute cake tops or candles you can find and you are done! Trust me people will be impressed and it really doesn't take much decorating talent to do this cake.

Buttercream Icing
1 Cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon Wilton Flavor (Vanilla, Almond or Butter)*
7-8 teaspoon milk or water
1 lb. pure cane confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 Tablespoon Wilton Meringue Powder (In case of egg allergies this may be eliminated)
Pinch of salt (optional, this will lessen the sweetness)

*Wilton Flavors may be used in any combination to suit your taste.
 Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Recipe from Wilton's Decorating Basics Book

No comments:

Post a Comment