Saturday, March 15, 2014

Homemade Manwich

Homemade Manwich
     I can finally feel spring in the air. This past week has been a glorious week. The sun, for the most part, has been shining and working on melting that snow. The temperatures have pushed the 50's a couple of times this week too. I can finally see grass out in the backyard and the ducks have been gathering on the pond again.

     Since the weather has been so nice this week I have been starting on my regular routine of walking the dogs around the block again. Now I just need to keep this routine going next week. See I've been on spring break this past week and Monday is back to school for me. I'll have to start getting up to the alarm clock and throwing my sweats on to get the dogs out the door and on their walk before I have to hit the shower. It's a great way to start the day, especially now that the temps are getting warmer.

     In anticipation of the warmer weather I have been in the mood for more summer type food. I decided that I wanted to spice up my sloppy joe recipe a bit, so I went in search of a recipe. I found one that reminds me of Manwich. You know, that canned mix that you just add to cooked ground beef? Well I think this recipe is even better.

     I had to change the recipe slightly, but I think it still tastes really good. Now my kids still like my original recipe for sloppy joes, but they thought these were really good too.

Homemade Manwich
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced
1- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 C ketchup
1/2 C Sweet Baby Rays barbeque sauce
3 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t chili powder
1/4 t paprika
hamburger buns

In a skillet brown the hamburger and onions until the beef is cooked through. Drain the meat mixture. Add the drained tomatoes, ketchup, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir well and cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Uncover and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens up. Serve on hamburger buns.

Adapted from Big Mama's Home Kitchen

1 comment: