Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lemon Bundt Cake

So this week I was craving lemon cake. I didn't want to just grab a lemon cake mix and whip it up I wanted something different. I wanted a bundt cake. O.K. go ahead and make the bundt cake jokes like from My Big Fat Greek Wedding like my son and I did.(I love that movie. I never get tired of it.) Anyways, so I started to look for a recipe that was quick and easy, but that I could still make my bundt cake.

I finally found one on cooks.com. It was easy and I had all the necessary ingredients. I did, however adjust the baking time for the cake. The recipe said to bake for 1 hour and my cake was done in 40 minutes, so keep an eye on your cake when baking so you can adjust your time if needed.

I want to give you a word of warning for greasing the bundt pan. I used just a cooking spray and I thought I sprayed the heck out of the pan, but not so. My cake stuck on one side and I kind of had to piece it back together before I glazed it. I think I have to stick with what my mother says and that is to brush with shortening and then lightly flour. I never have problems with my cakes sticking when I do it the old fashion way, but you decide.

Ignore my ugly red platter. Couldn't find my glass cake plate.


I also did not make the glaze that they suggested. Instead I just did a powdered sugar glaze with some lemon extract in it for flavor. You can decide which one you prefer.

I think this cake is just perfect for a summer dessert. It is really light and has that fresh lemon taste that it will make you want another slice.

Lemon Bundt Cake
1pkg yellow cake mix
1 small pkg lemon jello
3/4 C water
2 t lemon extract
1/2 C oil
4 eggs

Powdered Sugar Icing
1 C powdered sugar
1t lemon extract
Milk


Mix all ingredients. Beat well. Pour into greased and floured bundt cake pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool cake in pan on a cooling rack. Once it is cool invert onto a cake plate. Prepare icing. Mix powdered sugar and lemon extract together in a small bowl. Add a little milk at a time to make a semi thick frosting. Don't worry if you add too much milk just add some more frosting. Drizzle icing over cake once cake has cooled.


Glaze
3/4 C powdered sugar
Juice from 1 lemon

Prepare lemon juice with sifted powdered sugar. Pour over cake when it comes out of the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment