Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Strawberry Rhubarb Pies
Saturday morning my husband and I went to the Minneapolis Farmers Market. I love going there, but haven't gone in a couple of years. I usually end up at one of the smaller markets close to home and it's just not as much fun.  My husband had never been to the "Big" farmers market so it was a very fun and exciting adventure for the two of us.

Parking was the most challenging part for us, but after a few right turns we found a two hour meter spot. The funny thing about these meters is they are designated for the farmers market and you go pay at this centrally located box with your meter number. All computerized of course. Was kind of neat.



There is so much more than fruits and vegetables to buy at the farmers market. There is clothing, hats, handmade lawn decorations, meats, cheeses and all sorts of things. I ended up buying a beautiful scarf and my hubby almost bought this cool straw hat with a wide brim. Perfect for the boat. Maybe next time. I think my daughter would have loved all the beautiful dresses there too. I'm taking her next time.

Anyways, we had an awesome time. The first thing we saw when we got there was a little patio area with chimineas. They are those cute little clay fireplaces for patios. I want one for my front patio so bad. And to add to the fun atmosphere two guys were playing reggae music. It just got one in the shopping mode.

Well we decided to pass on the chimineas for now and went vegetable and fruit shopping. There are so many choices and we wanted to make sure we were getting a good deal that we walked around a bit first before we made that first purchase. There are just so many vendors to see that you can't go too far before you make a decision on purchasing something.

We ended up buying tomatoes, cucumbers, little fingerling potatoes, red peppers, blackberries, and rhubarb. I was surprised to see rhubarb there. I know it is supposed to be getting to the end of its season (so says the chart I have on when produce is in season), but I remember having it all summer long from my mom's garden as a kid. Only two stands had some so I just had to get some.

I ended up using  up just about everything we bought in a few days. I have enough potatoes and red peppers for one more meal. I also was able to cut up and freeze four cups of rhubarb for a future pie or rhubarb crisp.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I used the other rhubarb, in combination with some strawberries I already had on hand, to make two pies. I used this Betty Crocker picture cookbook to make my pies. I have not made a pie crust in years and this was simple to do using this recipe. I did, however, roll the crust out between wax paper to make it easier to put in the pans (a trick I learned in home economics class). The crust turned out tender and flakey. The fruit filling was amazing! Give this one a try. I figure if my husband and son were going back for seconds it must be good.

Pastry for two-crust pies
for a 9" pie
2 C sifted flour
1 t salt
2/3 C shortening *
4 T water 
*When using hydrogenated shortings add about 2T more.
  1. Measure the flour into the mixing bowl and mix the salt through it.
  2. With pastry blender, cut in half the shortening finely...until mixture looks like meal. (This makes for tenderness)
  3. Cut in the remaining shortening coarsely...until particles are the size of giant peas. (This makes for flakiness).
  4. Sprinkle with the water, a tablespoon at a time...mixing lightly with fork until all the flour is moistened.
  5. Gather dough together with the fingers so it cleans the bowl.
  6. Press into a ball. Then roll out, or keep in waxed paper in refrigerator until needed. (I rolled it out between wax paper then peeled one sheet off and flipped it in the pie pan). Trim the dough around the edges of the pie pan.
  7. One crust goes in the pie pan. The second crust after peeling the one layer of wax paper off flip on top of your fruit filled pie. Use a spoon to make slits on top crust to vent pie. I did this once it was on top of the fruit, I find it easier to do it this way. You can do it before putting it on top if you like. Seal and flute edges. Form crimped fluting by pinching dough with thumb and forefinger around forefinger of opposite hand.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie filling
1 1/3 C sugar
6 T flour
2 C rhubarb, cut up
2 C strawberries, cut up
1 1/3 T butter
  1. Mix together the sugar and flour.
  2. Add the rhubarb and strawberries and mix lightly.
  3. Pour into pastry-lined pie pan.
  4. Dot with butter.
  5. Cover with top crust. Sprinkle with sugar. (Don't forget to vent top crust.)
  6. Bake at 425 for 40-50 minutes or until crust is nicely browned and juice begins to bubble through slits. Serve slightly warm.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book

No comments:

Post a Comment