Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stuffed Green Peppers

Stuffed Green Peppers
It's that wonderful time of summer when all the fresh produce is coming in by the bushel full. I am anticipating going to the Farmers Market, which I have yet to do this summer. Now is the time because I just heard on the local talk show that produce is at its peak right now. You can pretty much get what ever you want at the Farmers Market.

My garden this year is another story. It actually is a very sad and pathetic garden this year.  It just isn't doing that great, but I have produce from my mother. Her garden always does great! I'm a little jealous, especially since I was so ready this year to tend to my garden. About the only two things that are doing great are the beans and cucumbers. Well at least I can get produce from my mom.

My mom gave me five green peppers this week and I just had to make stuffed peppers with them. They are so easy to make and so delicious. They also are real easy to reheat at a later date if necessary. Everyone at my house is on a different work schedule so most of the time someone is reheating dinner later or the next day.

These work best if you have some nice sized peppers that will stand up well on their own. Although I have been know to use a few smaller peppers just so I can make this dish. Whatever you choose to do enjoy this yummy dish of stuffed green peppers.

Stuffed Green Peppers
6 large green peppers
5 Cups boiling water
1-lb ground beef
1 C cooked rice
2 T chopped onion
1 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
1- 15oz can tomato sauce*
mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 350. Cut thin slice from stem end. Remove insides and wash. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Cook hamburger and onion until onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in salt, garlic powder, rice and 1 cup of tomato sauce; heat and lightly stuff each pepper with 1/2 c meat mixture. Stand peppers in a greased pan. Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Cover and bake 15minutes. Top with cheese and return to oven to slightly melt.

Recipe from my sister-in-law Cindy.

*note: you can also use spaghetti sauce in a jar. I have done this before and it is very good this way too.

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried these, and they look SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really good and easy to make. You should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete