Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lemon Sugar Cookies

     Well today is suppose to be a 90 degree day here in Minnesota. And with that on my mind I was in the mood for a treat that was summery. I knew I wanted to make some type of cookie, but I just wasn't sure what kind.

     Now I didn't want to make chocolate chip, or oatmeal. I needed something that was sweet but tasted light and spoke the words summer. This took a lot of searching on the internet, especially on pinterest.

     I found some sugar cookie recipes, but I wanted something with a lemon flavor. I found a few lemon sugar cookies, but I am a stickler for soft sugar cookies. I just hate the crunchy, crumbly type. There were a few out there. None to my complete liking so I did a little modifying of sorts and came up with this recipe.

     I've always read to put cornstarch in your cookies and it will make them soft. I know this works with the lofthouse type of cookie, so I thought why not try it. I also added 100 percent lemon juice to this recipe too.

     These cookies are very soft and very lemony. I am tempted to add some vanilla ice cream between two to make ice cream sandwiches. That would be perfect on a hot day.

     These cookies are very easy to make and don't take much time at all either. Give them a try and enjoy the taste of summer.

Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies


Lemon Sugar Cookies

3 C all purpose flour
2 t cornstarch
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 t lemon extract
2 t lemon juice
1/2 C sugar for rolling cookies

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine flour, cornstarch, soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
In a medium bowl beat butter and sugar with a mixer until smooth and fluffy.
Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon juice.
Gradually add the flour mixture and combine well.
Roll the dough into balls and then roll in the sugar. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on pan for 2 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Store cookies in an air tight container to retain freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment