Saturday, May 25, 2013

Spicy Oatmeal Cookies

     Well the Memorial weekend is upon us. The weather of course is not cooperating. It is going to be cold and rainy most of the weekend. I'm hoping that I can get a bonfire in sometime in between the rain.


    I guess it's a good weekend to do some cooking. I might as well especially since the whole crew is here. I will be busy cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it can be a lot of work. If the weather is nice I don't mind grilling outside, but that might be a challenge this holiday weekend. It also helps if I can make things up ahead of time so I don't have to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone else is enjoying themselves.

     I did make some cookies this week. They are an old favorite of my families. I originally got the recipe from my son's daycare provider. He just graduated from college two weeks ago so this recipe has been around for some time. I'm sure they don't remember these cookies because it has been ages since I have actually made them.

     I will probably make some more this weekend and use them to make some ice cream sandwiches. I think they would be perfect for that. These cookies have coconut in them and molasses. Both ingredients are a must in this recipe. The cookies are super soft and chewy, so keep them in an air tight container to keep them fresh.

Spicy Oatmeal Cookies
1 C margarine
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon 
2 t vanilla
2 T Molasses
2 C sugar
2 eggs
2 C flour
1 1/2 t soda
2 C oatmeal
1 C coconut
1 C chopped nuts (optional)

Blend shortening, salt, vanilla, molasses, cinnamon, sugar and eggs. Sift and blend flour and soda. Add remaining ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet allowing room to spread out. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment